Sunday, October 26, 2014

Weekend in review

Saturday I had a labor support class at Cafe of Life that my sweet sister friends Kate and my favorite doula in the world, Melissa, held. 
Kate helping us empower our patients. 

Learning valuable lessons from Melissa

It was incredible. I adore their passion for helping women. I have often toyed with the idea of becoming a doula and to be honest, the only thing holding me back from doing it right now is the little presidents. I think once they are a little older (3-5 yo?) I will give it a go. 

I adore women and I think that we are powerful. I believe we can do anything we put our minds to. I believe in the process of labor and birth. I believe in our inner strength and determination. 

We learned some valuable lessons - which I hope I have been good at in the past. We learned how to mend the holes in a woman's mind. For instance, people in her room may not be aware of comments that they are making that she is taking to heart. We can turn those comments around and make them positive. We can give her choices. We can give her informed consent so that when she reflects back on her birth experience, it is seen in a positive light. Knowing that we did everything in our power to give her her hearts desire- even if the outcome wasn't exactly what she had planned in her mind.

We did skits, we played games, we were able to ask questions, we learned pain relief techniques (hip squeeze), we learned maneuvers to help turn babies to the correct position to come out of the birth canal, we were able to bring our children, we ate good food, we learned why each person became a labor and delivery nurse/doula, and we all connected on another level. 


Aunt Jill snuggling Special K!

Hip Squeeze

I left feeling empowered. It reminded me why I love doing what I do. I've had my doubts about going back to work. I don't what to leave my babies. They are my world. Yesterday reminded me of what a gift God has given me. I am there on most peoples happiest day of their lives. They walk into the hospital not knowing a soul and they put their complete faith and trust in me. That I will take care of them and their sweet gift(s) from above. What a rewarding feeling and what a HUGE responsibility. I will miss the little presidents like crazy, but I will be helping bring new life into the world. I am beyond blessed to be able to do this for a living. Not only that, but the people I work with are amazing. They are loving, supportive, and always willing to give a helping hand. I don't think most people can say that about who they work with. 

Love these ladies

Saturday evening, Nick and I rented a movie - "The Sex Tape" with Cameron Diaz and Jason Segal. It was pretty funny but I'm not going to lie - I dozed off the last 15 minutes. Oops!

Snuggling with the little presidents 


The nuggets were up every 2-2.5 hours last night. More often than usual but they did end up sleeping for almost 3 hours, from 3:30-6:15. That being said, I've been pretty tired today. 

We got up and I breastfed both of them, Nick topped them off with a bottle and then I pumped. This process takes a while. I started around 6:30 and I finished around 9. I then picked up the house and made their bottles for the day. We decided that maybe we needed to up the amount of breastmilk they get so we are now at 2.5 ounces and going to see how they tolerate it. 

Noel came over to watch the boys because Nick had gotten VIP tickets to the Air Show. It was a good opportunity for him to do some networking so we left the boys with Grammy. 

We stopped by Starbucks on our way- mommy was in dire need of a latte. Our drinks were purchased and off we went!  We got to the air show,  which was about an hour and 15 minutes from our house. In that time I felt my milk come in and needed to pump. Thankfully, I bought a battery pack for my pump last week and I was able to set up shop on the dashboard of Nick's car. Pumping ensued! And boy did I get some funny looks as people walked by!


Pumpin in the 'hoe

How else would you store precious breastmilk????


We got inside around 1:00 and wondered around for a bit. We found the VIP tent and headed in. We ran into a few people Nick knew and stopped and chatted for a little while. We then grabbed a bite to eat and sat down to grub :). The decisions as made to see what all was going on. We wondered around a little  before returning to the tent again. We watched the airshow for a while and learned all about the planes that were used during World War II. Nick then ran into another guy he knew and his son. We hung out with them for a while and then we had to go. We missed the boys! 

We stopped by Southlake town center to see if Nick could stop in and get a haircut. Unfortunately the place he wanted to go was booked. 

We headed home after I set up shop in the Tahoe again.  My pump was a pumpin!  We stopped and got gas and then we were able to relieve Noel of her grandma duties. I think the boys did well. They got off track on their feeding schedule so I am currently in the process of getting them back on track. We are almost there!

Nick did go and get his haircut. He also hit up the grocery store and grilled up some amazing chicken for us for dinner. It was delicious as usual. The man and his grill are pretty remarkable. 

Pierce has done nothing but cry since we got home. The only way I have been able to calm him down is to wear him. So that's what we are doing!

Pierce and I after folding baby laundry



Pierce and mommy helping with dinner 


Hope everyone had a good one! We have a busy week ahead of us. I'm hoping I don't fall behind again :)

Knox snoozing peacefully

Knox got some extra lovin too!


No comments:

Post a Comment