Sunday, October 12, 2014

Ebola

Recently, a man from Liberia who came to the US, brought Ebola with him. To be honest, I've been so consumed with my boys that I haven't really researched Ebola or given it a whole lot of thought. I felt terrible for the family that lost their loved one and knew that if someone else was going to contract Ebola, it would more than likely be a healthcare provider. 

Well that happened today (Sunday when I began writing this post). A nurse who had taken care of the Ebola patient, Thomas Duncan who passed away earlier this week, was diagnosed with Ebola. She began running a low grade fever Friday night and this morning they confirmed that she does indeed have Ebola. As Nick and I have sat here watching the news, we realized that she lives blocks away from us. I hate to admit this, but I'm scared. I have two newborn boys who are my life and I would die if either of them contracted Ebola. What's scary is how your mind wanders. Was she at the same grocery store we went to? Did she have a cut on her hand that could have exposed someone else to the disease? Is this going to be an epidemic? There is no "cure" per se, and the one drug that has worked, takes a lot of time to make and what had been made, has been used. They are experimenting with blood transfusions from people who have survived Ebola( in hopes of transfusing their antibodies against Ebola) along with experimental drugs. 

I'm praying hard for this sweet nurse who took care of Mr. Duncan. As a nurse, you know that you can potentially be taking care of people with life threatening diseases - anything from HIV to Ebola. I am praying that the media stops making it sound like it's the nurses fault ( they keep saying there had to have been a breech in protocol). I pray that no one else contracts the disease. I pray the nurse caught her symptoms early enough that her bout with Ebola is short and that she walks away healthy. She is a true hero. 


I was looking on Facebook and found this article from our pediatricians office. It's a good, simple explanation of Ebola and what to do/look for with your kids.  

Please say a prayer for this brave young nurse, her healthcare providers, family and friends. Please pray for our nation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are many opinions out there - but ultimately she is a human being who graciously cared for Thomas Duncan and she deserves nothing but the upmost respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment