Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Gas...

Apparently 3-6 weeks is the peak of when a newborn has the most gas. And my oh my do these boys have gas!!! They have adult worthy gas!!!!

It's only natural that I would turn to Dr. Google to figure out what the heck is going on. Most of what I've found has said that this is completely normal. Thank goodness. I've talked to a few girlfriends and have inquired if I should change my diet and the repeated answer has been no (thank goodness!). 

Most newborns between 1-4 months have gas. This is due to an immature gut. Their gut is continuing to develop and digestion is difficult. It doesn't matter if your baby is breastfed ( like the LP's) or bottle fed. Gas does not discriminate! 

Here are some remedies I've found:

1.  Infant massage. There are multiple you tube videos on how to do this and I've found this to be hit or miss for us. 

2.  Little Remedies gas relief drops. These have helped us a lot. The boys usually get a drop when I can feel the gas in their tummies or they are being really fussy. It seems to help a little bit. Plus they like the way it tastes :) I hate that I'm putting chemicals in their little bodies and I am on the hunt for a more natural approach. 

3.  How you feed can play a big role in gas production for your little one. With the Table for Two, the boys sit up to eat. Babies should be at an incline (mouth above belly) when the eat no matter what venue (breast or bottle). Also the type of bottle you use may help. We use Dr. Browns for Pierce and Medelas with a special nipple for Knox. Both of which are supposed to help with gas.

4.  Burp burp burp your baby!  This is a hard one for us because Knox projectile vomits 80% of the time if we burp him. When we let him be, there's a 50% chance he won't spit up like crazy. Yesterday I read an article that stated you should "feed, wake, sleep" your baby. Essentially, feed your little one, and then wake them up to burp. If they don't burp, they may fall asleep, but their sleep will not be restful and more than likely, the baby will wake up 30 minutes later. Pierce is great at burping. Knox now gets burped VERY GENTLY. Look to your baby for cues as to when to burp. About halfway through their feeding you may notice that they slow down a bit. This is the ideal time to burp them. Otherwise they get mad and will swallow more air. No thanks!!!!

5.  My mom taught me this trick. Lay your baby across your thighs on their back, so their feet are near your tummy. Gently push your babies feet towards their chest. This helps alleviate any air pockets or gas in their belly. You can bicycle their legs to help as well. 

6. Tummy time is supposed to help relieve gas. For my boys, I think tummy time just makes it worse. My boys despise tummy time and end up swallowing twice as much air from their piercing screams. I'm hoping this eventually helps. In the meantime I have found that lying them over my forearm tends to relieve some of their tummy ache. 

Do y'all have any other tips? I would love to hear them. My sweet little presidents are in pain :(. I'm praying it's all downhill from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment