Tuesday, November 18, 2014

2 months

Time sure is passing quickly. I cannot believe the Little Presidents are already two months old. I'm so proud of them. For premies they sure are meeting their milestones!!!

Monday we went to see Dr. Agrawal for their 2 month checkup and their first round of shots. Here are the boys stats: 

Pierce: 
Weight- 6#14
Height- 20
Head circumference- 37.5

Knox:
Weight- 6#9
Height- 19.75
Head circumference- 37



They are doing awesome!!! I talked with Dr. A about Knox's reflux and since he isn't gaining weight as well as Pierce, she wants him to start on Prevacid. I've heard amazing things about Prevacid with babies and I am hoping and praying that it works out. Poor guy spits up, A LOT. I know spitting up is normal, but he power pukes. It can't feel good on his little throat!

They also got their first round of shots today. At our last visit we had discussed doing an alternative vaccination schedule. I expressed my concern and desire to come in more often in an effort to not give too many vaccines at once. Their bodies are so tiny. I am a lot more comfortable this way and she was extremely receptive to it.

I know there are a lot of differing opinions about vaccinating your children.  I know some people may not agree with what Nick and I are doing, but we are doing what we believe is best for our boys. I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer to this, I just believe that as parents, we have to make the best decision for our children with the information that is provided. 

When we got to the office, I read a sign on the wall that said insurance may not pay for additional visits if you want an alternative vaccination schedule. Uh-oh. I texted Nick to get his opinion. We agreed that we should ask what the cost would be and he would check with our insurance company to see what they would do.  When Dr. A and I were talking, I mentioned this to her and she said each additional visit would be about $50 per child. We obviously have 2 and that can add up fast. She explained to me what most kids get. I guess she saw the look of disappointment, concern and fear in my face. She told me not to worry about paying for the additional visits. She was going to write a note in the boys charts that we won't be charged for the additional nurse visits for vaccines. I gave her the biggest hug and thanked hera million times. She made my day!!!! And she has no idea how truly grateful we are. 

The boys got the DTaP #1 and Hib #1. At 4 months they will get #2. We are waiting on the rotavirus and Hep B since the boys are not going to be in daycare. We will give them at a later time. I've done a lot of research and I really don't want the boys to get the MMR until they are at least 2. Dr.  A was completely open to this. The MMR is the vaccine that concerns me the most and where they see the most change in children. From what I have read, the longer you wait, the less likely you are to see changes in your kiddos. 

I pray for my boys daily about many different things. From things as minuscule as "please don't let their nails scratch their face" to "please don't let them get diaper rash". I of course try my best to prevent these things but some things are out of my control. I also pray daily that they will grow up happy, healthy, and most importantly that they know and love The Lord and lead others to Him. I pray they learn from their mistakes and that Nick and I raise them in such a way that their mistakes are minor. That they understand there are consequences to their actions. I pray they love and respect us and that one day, when they are grown, Nick and I will be two of their closest friends. We want nothing but the very best for them, just as our parents wanted the best for us. Nick and I are blessed to have incredible parents. I hope the boys will say the same thing about us one day. 

Anyway, I got a bit off topic. Back to the boys pedi appointment. While we were waiting for the nurse to give them their shots, I was holding a screaming Master P, when I glanced over and saw that Knoxwell was surrounded by water! How did that happen?!?  The little indicator on his diaper that tells you if they are wet did not change from yellow to blue so I made the ASSumption that he was dry. Of course I had to investigate further. My mommy nose came out and sure enough, he was swimming in urine. His diaper failed me. It was all the way up his back and to his head. Knox was not the least bit bothered by it either. Poor guy. I immediately changed his diaper and apologized a million times when the nurse came in. I'm sure he wasn't the first to do this, nor will he be the last. 
Yep. That's urine. 

They got their shots, Knox went first followed by Pierce. It broke my heart. I really really really wanted to cry with them. Instead I held them down and then cuddled them tight. Ugh. I can give a shot to anyone, but seeing my babes get shots - not easy!!! They cried for a few minutes and then they were ok. We packed up and made out appointment for next month!

P was NOT happy. 

Melissa, the sweet doula I love that threw my blessing way shower, is now running  her business out of Dr. A's office. I got to see it and I love it! They've done an awesome job decorating it and I am excited for what's to come for them!!! 

We then headed to Cafe of Life and all 3 of us got adjusted. It was much needed and I am hoping it helps the boys both have a bowel movement. Their gas has been man worthy as of late! Pee-ew!

Dr Autumn, working her magic


After that, I fed them and we headed home. They slept for a little bit and then Fuss City USA ensued. Poor guys did nothing but fuss and cry for hours. I held them as best I could and eventually all 3 of us fell asleep for a brief time. 


Around 6:30 I was almost in tears. Both boys had been crying since their 5 o'clock feed and nothing I did was making it any better. I texted Jill for advice. Tylenol was her answer. That's great but guess who only has Advil for babies??? This kid. Crap. You can't give babies Advil until they are 6 months old. I told Jill I didn't have any and guess who stopped by after her 12 hour shift to bring us infant Tylenol? Yep, Aunt Jill. Guess who also lives over an hour away? Yep, Aunt Jill. Boys, we are so very loved and beyond blessed to have people like Aunt Jill in our lives. 

Of course Jill couldn't stay long but she loved on the boys a little and headed home. She truly was my angel and an answer to prayer. Both boys got a dose of Tylenol and within 20 minutes they were a lot more calm. In turn, mommy was able to relax a little. If you call doing laundry, making and sanitizing baby bottles, unloading the dishwasher and getting things ready for bed time relaxing :).  Hey, things finally got done - sort of. The clothes are in the dryer and need to be folded and put away but that can wait ;)

Whitney texted. She was just getting off work and Jeff was out of town too. She offered to bring dinner and I did not decline. She brought me my favorite salad from Crisp Salads. We ate and then fed the boys and she helped me get them ready for bed and put down. They were a bit fussy but you could tell they were fighting their sleep in the worst way. Poor little guys. It was a big day for them - and mommy too. 


I'm so thankful to have such amazing people in my life. Katie and Kelly also texted today offering to help and Tuesday, Kate is going to bring me dinner and help with the boys for a few hours. Blessed doesn't even begin to express how I feel. And no amount of "thank yous" will be enough. 

Praying the next two days go smoothly. Daddy, we miss you!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment