Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lactation cookies

I tried my hand at another batch of lactation cookies last night. This is round 4! 

The first batch I made were no bake ( because I'm lazy) and they turned out pretty gross. I never looked forward to choking them down and eventually threw them away. 

The second batch I made were also no bake and were actually really good! I kept the "batter" in the fridge and would eat a scoop here and there. I wish I could find the recipe again because they were quite tasty! Even Nick would have a spoonful occassionally - and no, it didn't make him lactate :)

Third batch - just plain gross. I made peanut butter and chocolate drop cookies but the brewers yeast taste was so overpowering, I was gagging to eat them. So yesterday, they got tossed in the trash. 

Pinterest has been my go to for lactation cookie recipes and I finally decided to do what I had been avoiding all this time - baking. I decided to actually turn my oven on and give it one more shot. Boy am I glad I did!!!! My newest batch of cookies actually turned out delicious!!! I had two last night! One before dinner and one after. Just call me "Tiff's Treats!"

Here is the recipe I used from 
Onesmartcook.blogspot.com (thank you!!!!!)

Blueberry cheesecake lactation cookies:

Ingredients:
1 box (7 oz) Jiffy muffin mix (I used blueberry)
2 oz softened cream cheese (I used whipped because it's what we had)
5 Tbs softened butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup white chocolate chips ( I used milk chocolate because it's what I had)
1/4 cup brewers yeast (key ingredient for lactation)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal (other key ingredient)
4 Tbs filtered water
1 cup whole grain rolled oats (I used steel cut because it's what I had)

The mix after two hours of refrigeration and one batch of cookies in the oven.  

Directions:

1.  Cream butter, sugar and cream cheese ( mix until small lumps of cream cheese remain)
2.  In a small bowl, stir together brewers yeast, flaxseed meal and filtered water. Add to creamed butter mixture. 
3. Add egg
4.  Using a rubber spatula, add in muffin mix
5.  Fold in oats and chocolate chips ( I'll be honest - I mixed everything with my mixer!)
6.  Refrigerate batter at least 2 hours (I feel like this is the key!)
7.  Preheat oven to 350
8.  Scoop onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown ( it was more like 14-15 minutes in my oven and I used a baking sheet sans paper. Turned out perfectly!) 

Final product!


It made almost 40 cookies and I am hoping and praying they work. I know my LPs are going to need more milk here soon as they just keep growing bigger and stronger. Mommy wants to try and keep up so here we go! Prayers and fingers crossed they work!!!!



1 comment: