Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

Today begins Lent! 40 days before Easter and a time to concentrate on what sacrifices God did for us by sending his only son to live and die so that our sins can be forgiven. Wow. The truest sacrifice.  

As we begin the season I was thinking of what I want to give up. Initially it was Facebook because I feel like I waste a lot of time on it. However, we communicate a lot about work through Facebook so I decided that I will instead limit my time but still check it so as not to miss work related things. 

The more I thought about it, I also decided that the season is not necessarily about giving things up, but for doing something outside of your norm. Something that makes you stop and think. A lot of people give up sweets, or foul language or social media, but I've been thinking. I think I want to be more intentional with my time and more present with the boys.

Sometimes I feel like I am just rushing through the day, trying to keep my head above water between playing with the boys, feeding them, pumping, and worrying about household chores. I want to take a step back and enjoy the little moments. The moments that only happen once and will soon be a distant memory. I want to embrace every little smile and every giggle and coo. These days will pass all too quickly and I want to remember the small things not just the big. So for lent, I want to be more intentional with my time in every way - with God, with Nick, with the LPs, with my family and with my friends. I want to make a concentrated effort to be fully present in their presence and not think about the 100 other things on my "to do" list. 

So things may be a little chaotic and out of order for the next 40 days or I may find that I'm actually more on top of it than I thought I would and could be. Time will tell. But for now, I want to thank God for the blessings He has given us. They are far beyond my wildest dreams and I want to appreciate the little moments, for time is passing so quickly. 

What are you doing for lent? Are you giving anything up?  Embracing   something new? Being more present? Whatever it may be, I wish you all the best! Happy Ash Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment