Friday, August 15, 2014

24 weeks, part 2


Due to my iPad not letting me type fast I had to break this into 2 posts. So we are starting on July 4th!!! 24 weeks and 3 days.

Dr. E decided that 4 a.m. Was a greater time to round on me. I'm sorry, no doctor should round on you at such an ungodly hour. Besides that, I was being woken up every few hours anyhow. Needless to say, I was irritated and now officially awake. Grr!!!

My nifedipine had been changed to every 4 hours because I was contracting a little too much. At 6, Jackie came in to give it to me and I asked if we could check my blood sugar at the same time. I figured if we did everything at once it would keep people out of my room so much. She happily obliged. I also reminded her that I wouldn't mind be monitored early. She said she would pass that along.

Beth was my nurse again and she came in around 8 with my breakfast tray and monitor! Whoo-hoo. I wanted to get it over with! Luckily the boys behaved, my uterus - well it was what we like to call "irritable." Thankfully the nurses were kind enough to sign my strip off and I was able to come off the monitors. When I say that they "signed off my strip," anytime that we have someone on the monitor, at least 2 nurses with at least 1 year of experience and/or a doctor and a nurse have to look at the strip carefully and agree that they are both comfortable with how it looks.

Our friends from Austin, Matt and Michelle came by to visit us. It was nice to catch up with them for a little while. They are due around the same time as us with a little boy, Caden. It's crazy how much bigger I am than her. You can barely tell she's pregnant where as I am large and in charge!

My parents drove in. They left SA at 4 in the morning. If I had known they were already on the road at that time, I would have called them thanks to my Dr. E wake up call. Bitter much??? Sleep is already a thing of the past for me I guess.

L&D had a Fourth of July party in the conference room so Nick took me down for my 30 minute wheelchair ride to see all my coworkers and friends. My friend Jill is an amazing cook and she had made a trifle that was incredible. It was fresh strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream and I believe sponge cake. She nails it every time. I didn't want a hot dog or hamburger so I just hung out and visited with everyone. It felt so good to be there. My 30 minutes flew by and upstairs I went.

Noel, Keith, Brent, Aubrey, mom and papa were all in my tiny room. It was a little tight to say the least. Nick and Brent went and grabbed chairs out of the conference room so that people could sit. We sat around and ate lunch and chit chatted for a while. Noel and Keith left to go pack their house. They will be moving to Utah pretty soon. On their way home, they dropped my dad off at our house so he could check on the dog. Mom, Aubrey and Brent ran to Target to get a few things that we needed. When they came back with all of our goodies, we decided to order a pizza for dinner. Aubrey and Brent had to leave to go check on their dogs so it was just me, mom, and Nick.




Not too long after we placed our pizza order, my nurse, Stephanie came by and told me I would be moving from 709 to 701. 701 is one of the 2 bigger rooms on the unit. It is by no means large, but the extra space was nice. So we packed everything up and mom and Nick took loads down to 701.

We got all settled in, Nick went and picked up the pizza, and mom and I organized my room. We ate dinner and then my mom took off. She was going to wash our sheets, do laundry, and clean up around the house. I was so thankful she was here. Sometimes you just need your mom.

It was the Fourth of July and we were told that we were in a room where we would be able to see the fireworks at Fair Park. We were informed correctly. It was an electrifying firework show! Nick and I were watching the display when my door burst open, and in walked Dr. D. She looked stunned to see anyone in the room. Apparently the nurses had not moved my info from room 709 to 701. We told her to stay and enjoy! She did until her pager got the best of her.

That night was like every other night. People were in and out and I was up on and off. I was really struggling with sleeping because the beds were so uncomfortable and my back was killing me. I was taking ambien but because my sleep was so erratic, it was making me really drowsy and feeling like I was hungover the next day. Luckily, no Dr. E at 4am.

Mom and papa came to visit and Nick was in the conference room working. My nurse was busy with other patients and was not able to get me on the monitors so I didn't get my monitoring until 11. Mom and Papa got to see it all go down. My dad sat in the chair with a look of " don't hurt my baby" on his face while my mom hovered around the machine asking a ton of questions and worrying about the irritability she was seeing. I had the nurse pull up my strip from when I first got to the hospital and I think that helped her feel better about what she was seeing now.

My sweet friend Michelle stopped by. She used to be a labor and delivery nurse with me, went to NP school and now works at a pain clinic. It was so nice to hang out with her and catch up.

We grabbed a bite to eat and then I wanted to take my wheelchair ride. Mom, Papa, Nick, Aubrey and I were headed out!!! We needed to make it snappy because they only let you go for 30 minutes. We made a pit stop at Simply Moms - a baby boutique in the hospital. We found some really cute things for the boys. We got them matching football onesies with matching football socks, these really cool grocery basket/high chair covers that fold up and become a bag, and matching black and white ties. I had sent my badge home with my parents but luckily the cashier honored my Baylor discount. That place is expensive! We then ventured outside. It was the first time I had been outside since we were admitted and boy did the sunshine feel nice! Aubrey was pushing me in a loop outside when Nick's phone rang. It was Dr. E. Apparently 2 pm on a Saturday was when he liked to round. I was pissed. I seriously had been outside for 5 minutes and I still had 10 minutes left in my wheelchair ride. We headed back up.

I was in the bathroom when Dr. E came in. He knocked on the bathroom door as I was walking out to ask me if I was ok. I told him I was fine but that he had just cut my wheelchair ride short and it was the first time I had been outside in 6 days. He didn't seem to give a rats hinny. I was pretty bitter.

We all hung out a while longer and then everyone headed home. Doreen was my night nurse. She came in and did my monitoring and then Nick and I went to Clay and Whitney's room and hung out with them. Gunner is so cute. He's the tiniest little guy and he barely makes a sound. I just want to snuggle him all day long!

I was having a really hard time with my restless leg so Nick and I did some laps in the hallway. I didn't want to get in trouble but I was in tears I was hurting so bad. I cannot even tell you how much I appreciate Nick. He has been my rock through this whole ordeal. And it has not been easy - for either of us.

Sunday morning, Dr.E came by around 6 to round. I'm really glad we got that out of the way. I was still irritated from the day before. I was up so I showered and got ready. Mom and papa came by right as they were starting my monitoring. Mom did a lot better since she understood what she was looking at a little better. And my poor Papa. He doesn't like seeing me in a hospital bed - I keep trying to remind everyone that I am not sick - just pregnant!

Mom told me what all she had done for us at the house. I'm so appreciative of everything. She brought up some clothes that she had washed along with some pants she had found that will be comfortable for me to lounge around in. We talked about the nursery and what all we still need to get done. It's all so overwhelming because it truly is a lot.

Nick and Papa went and grabbed lunch from the cafeteria and we ate. We sat around the room chit chatting and in conversation, I mentioned that I wish we had a camera because if they had been born, we would have only had our cell phones to take pictures. Well my dad was on a mission! He and Nick went to Best Buy and picked out a camera for us. I am so excited about the camera and Nick and I have not been able to put it down since we got it charged and ready!!!

Mom and Papa had to head back to SA. I'm so glad they were here and they can see that everything is stable for now. Being a parent to be, I now get why they worry so much. I worry about these little guys 24/7.

Nick went home for a little while and did some things at the house he needed to do. On his way back he asked if I wanted him to pick anything up. He asked!!!! I had been hearing so many good things about this place by our house called "Steel City Pops." It's a Popsicle store but their Popsicles are all crazy flavors. I asked Nick to get me a pineapple habanero flavored one. Nick went by and said it was crazy busy. There were people and kids everywhere. He ended up buying 4 Popsicles so we took two down to Clay and Whitney. I couldn't eat mine yet because I was waiting on my blood sugar. Clay and Whitney could not stop raving about how good theirs were and I couldn't wait to check my sugar so I could eat mine!!! My sugar was great ( as they all have been) and I devoured mine. I know exactly why there has been so much hype about them. They are delicious!!!!

It was another restless leg, pace the hallways kind of night. I gave in and asked for an ambien. I just couldn't do another restless/sleepless/painful night again. I slept ok with the ambien but still not great. Way better than the night before though.

The next morning, Monday, I got my nifedipine and blood sugar at 6 and around 6:30 my good friend Susie stopped by and brought me my favorite Starbucks drink. A grande skinny vanilla latte. She chatted with me for a minute and then had to go downstairs and clock in for work.




Right after Susie left, there was a knock at my door and it was one of the Tech's asking me to empty my bladder before my sono. "Excuse me? Come again? I thought my sonos were supposed to be Tuesdays and Fridays. That was what I had been told," I said. The Tech replied that it was a new order and to meet her outside when my bladder was empty. I wasn't going to argue. I wanted to see the nuggets. Nick was awake at this point and I went to the bathroom and got into the the wheelchair to be wheeled down to the sono room.

We waited in the hallway while MFM finished up with another patient. It was then our turn. Dr. Yost was the one who was performing the sono. Luckily, I did not need another cervical length today, it was purely a lets see the boys sono. Dr. Yost had reviewed my blood sugars and was happy with them. She told me she thought I could stop taking them today but she would check with Dr. G. As she began looking at the boys, it was clear that there was no longer any poly!!! Praise The Lord!!! We honestly could not have asked for better news. Both nuggets were doing great. Their heartbeats were perfect and they were moving and doing what they should be. Nick and I were beyond thrilled to have this clean bill of health - finally!!

Once back in our room, Nick got up and showered. His plan was to go into the office for work, but he wanted to wait until we were able to talk to Dr. G. He usually works from home but I think he needed to get away. It's been a crazy time for the both of us but to add to the craziness, Nick was offered a new job within his company. It's a great opportunity but it does have its downsides. The upside is that he will get paid a little more, he will have more chances to move up, and he won't be stuck behind a computer all day. He will be one of three people running Deloitte University (DU) out in Westlake. That's where the downside comes into play. He will be commuting about an hour each way depending on traffic. And let's be frank- Nick doesn't have the most patience when it comes to driving. I really worry that this will take its toll on him. That being said, it's temporary. We are going to outgrow our house very quickly and the area that he will be working in is the area that we would eventually like to move to anyway. Our "eventually" may be happening a little sooner than we originally thought it would :)

Dr. G swung by around 8 and informed us that everything looked great and that I would no longer have to test my blood sugars!!! Whoo-hoo! Talk about a happy girl. I wanted pancakes for breakfast if that was the case ;). One must celebrate! The best news though was that as long as my monitoring goes well Tuesday morning, we will be able to go home where I will continue to be own bed rest. Hallelujah!!! A la casa I go. I know the next 24 hours will crawl by but no one can steal my joy today!

That afternoon, my best friend Nikki and her girls brought me lunch. They also brought me nothing Bundt cakes!!! They know the way to my heart! Plus, now I can actually eat one without waiting for my blood sugar!! Charlotte was so sweet and literally crawled up next to me and ate her entire meal, a nothing Bundt cake, an apple and a bowl of fruit! That little girl was starving! She has been in swim lessons and I think they are making her ravenous. She's my sweet girl who is more interested in playing than eating most of the time. Sweet Caroline was smiling and cooing. Ugh that baby is gorgeous. We had a great visit but it was getting towards the girls nap time and Nikki wanted to stop by L&D and say hi.

I rested for a while and a few people working that day were able to come by and chat for a little while. Monica, Kylie, Jill, Susie, Jaclyn and Lily all swung by. It was so good to see everyone. And I was excited to share my news that we would hopefully be going home tomorrow!!!!

Jill has a set of twins that are about 8 months old and a 3 year old. She has been such a good resource for me and has been so supportive throughout this whole process. After she had stopped by to say hi and visit, I got a knock on my door. It was a Tiff's Treats ( best cookies ever!) delivery person. Jill had sent us cookies from the kiddos. That girl gets me every time!



Nick came back when he got off work and we ate dinner. Doreen was my nurse again that night and she was so thoughtful. She brought me a Reese's peanut butter cup that she had written on the back of. It said something along the lines of " yay for no more blood sugars!" I thought this was such a sweet gesture.

Our friend Katie had gone to Steel City Pops earlier in the day and brought us some Popsicles. She made my day. Last night I had pineapple habanero, today I had coffee. Omg was it delicious. I cannot wait to go to this joint!

We all went down to Clay and Whitney's room. They had gotten the stamp of approval to go home! Gunner's jaundice was better even though they are going to keep a close eye on it even once they are home. He has a pedi appointment pretty much every other day. I am so excited for them. It's been very trying to be stuck here when all they want to do is go home and get into a routine. Yay Gunner!!! Way to go little man!

It was the longest night ever in anticipation of going home. As much as I wanted to sleep because that meant tomorrow would be here faster, I was super restless. Finally, 6 am came around and I was up and packing up my room. I jumped in the shower and got ready. I had my morning monitoring and both nuggets looked great! I also had very little irritability and 1 contraction. We passed, we passed, we passed!!!! Dr. G came by around 9. He had written my discharge orders and now we were just waiting on paperwork. It was time to blow this joint!

Nick took 2 loads down to the car. I signed all my paperwork, made sure we didn't leave anything in the room, and then transportation came and picked me up. I asked the guy if we could please stop by L&D on our way to the care. He was more than happy to stop. I gave everyone who was working and available a big hug and told them to please keep on praying for us. I loved seeing all their smiling faces and will really miss work while I am at home. As frustrating as my jobs can be sometimes, it's very rewarding and I get to work with incredible people that I love.

Transport took me to the car and viva a la casa we went!!! It truly was a joyful day!

Home sweet home!!!




What's going on with the Job babies?

Babies are the size of a cantaloupe!!!

Your kiddo will be moving the most from 24-28 weeks while they still have lots of room. After that, you may notice less frequent movements.

There eyes are still shut but the retina is almost fully developed and the iris is developing pigment although you won't know your baby's true eye color for several months after birth.

What's going on with mommy?

Alert, alert, alert!!! Please familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of preterm labor. The most common symptoms are period like cramps, a change in vaginal discharge, uterine contractions, pelvic pressure, or a dull lower back ache that is regular in occurrence. For me, my contractions were painful and they were every 5 minutes. They had a regularity to them. Of course if your bag of water breaks, you need to be seen right away. If you're not sure if it broke, put a pad on. If it is saturated in an hour, you need to call your doctor and always note the time and color of when your water broke. Of course if you ever have any questions or concerns, contact your provider immediately. It's better to get checked out and it be nothing than for it to be something.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iP

No comments:

Post a Comment